Our OMGTea Matcha Madeira cake. So simple to make with a very green twist and so tasty. A perfect complement to your afternoon tea (latte or straight up!)
This twist on the traditional madeira cake has a fabulous colour and an even better taste. Earthy and complex but also with a perfect sweetness. The addition of the almonds works so well with the overall flavour too. Go on, brighten up your day with this marvellous matcha treat!
• 175g butter softened, plus extra for greasing
• 175g golden unrefined caster sugar
• 3 large eggs
• few drops almond extract
• 200g self-raising flour
• 2 heaped teaspoons of OMGTea AA Grade matcha
• 50g ground almond
1. Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3. Butter and line the base of a 900g loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the almond extract. Now sift in the flour, matcha and almonds and beat until you have a thick batter. The batter should be loose enough that it falls off a wooden spoon, if it’s too thick mix in a splash of milk.
2. Tip the batter into the tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 55 mins – 1hr until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven then leave to cool for 15 mins then remove from the tin, peel away the paper and leave on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Your matcha madeira cake will keep in an airtight container for three days.